Purpose: The purpose of this SHORT PAPER is to help the student understand global heath in terms of a pandemic’s (in this course, COVID-19) disease burden as defined by the World Health Organization (WHO).
Read the assignment in its entirety prior to initiating the activity.
Read: Stanhope and Lancaster (2015) Chapter 15
Watch the short YouTube video that explains Burden of Disease, QALYs and DALYs, YLL and YDL in very simple terms: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fZdluXSUdg&t=25s
Visit the following websites to compare and contrast the COVID-19 statistics from:
WHO: https://covid19.who.int/ CDC: https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#datatracker-home California Department of Public Health: https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CID/DCDC/Pages/Immunization/ncov2019.aspx City of San Diego Health and Human Services: https://www.sandiegocounty.gov/content/sdc/hhsa/programs/phs.html
Using APA format, write up your brief, clear and concise paper (no more than 4 pages excluding your title page and references list for a maximum of 6 pages) to include the following (*Hint: 1-2 brief paragraphs for each section):
- A brief explanation of the COVID-19 pandemic (this information is given on several of the above websites).
- Describe the differences between the 4 levels of statistics that you reviewed. Using APA format, develop a table that compares the total number of cases, total mortalities, % of Deaths per population, total vaccinations and % of vaccinations (untitled sample below). How do the populations compare? Are state and local levels better or worse than country and/or world levels? Do you see any correlation between the % of deaths and % of vaccinations?
|Source||Total COVID-19 Cases||Total Deaths||% of Deaths per Population||Total Vaccinations||% of Vaccinations per Population|
|Ca Dept of Public Health|
|San Diego DHHS|
- Briefly explain burden of disease and impact on the world, country, state and city level (*Hint: the impact may be the same for all 4 settings)
- Briefly define and explain how QALYs, DALYs, YLL and YDL are related to burden of disease.
- Next, identify ONE outside article that describes an intervention that will assist in the treatment or prevention of COVID-19. It may be applicable to the world, country, state OR city level.
- Finally, describe how you as a nurse will apply this knowledge and share with your community of interest.
Label your paper Last name_First name_Burden of COIVD-19 (EX: Hanisch_Tyke_Burden of COVID 19) and submit to the appropriate assignments tab