Case Study: Patient CB has a history of strokes. The patient has been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, hypertension, and hyperlipidemia. Drugs currently prescribed include the following:
• Glipizide 10 mg po daily
• HCTZ 25 mg daily
• Atenolol 25 mg po daily
• Hydralazine 25 mg qid
• Simvastatin 80 mg daily
• Verapamil 180 mg CD daily
Write a 2- to 3-page paper that addresses the following:
• select one the following factors: genetics, gender, ethnicity, age, or behavior factors.
• Explain how the factor you selected might influence the pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic processes in the patient from the above case study.
• Describe how changes in the processes might impact the patient’s recommended drug therapy. Be specific and provide examples.
• Explain how you might improve the patient’s drug therapy plan and explain why you would make these recommended improvements. If possible please use one of the follwing resources.
Some references: Reference:
ACC/ACHA Guideline on the Management of Blood Cholesterol http://www.onlinejacc.org/content/accj/73/24/e285.full.pdf?_ga=2.211926493.853299748.1583090983-768093126.1583090983
Guideline for the Prevention, Detection, Evaluation, and Management of High Blood Pressure in Adults http://www.onlinejacc.org/content/accj/71/19/e127.full.pdf?_ga=2.119020992.853299748.1583090983-768093126.1583090983
Guideline on the Primary Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease http://www.onlinejacc.org/content/accj/74/10/e177.full.pdf?_ga=2.120069185.853299748.1583090983-768093126.1583090983
Guideline for the Management of Patients With Atrial Fibrillation http://www.onlinejacc.org/content/accj/74/1/104.full.pdf?_ga=2.181500014.853299748.1583090983-768093126.1583090983
Guideline for the Management of Heart Failure http://www.onlinejacc.org/content/accj/70/6/776.full.pdf?_ga=2.182392302.853299748.1583090983-768093126.1583090983
Strategies to Enhance Application of Clinical Practice Guidelines in Patients With Cardiovascular Disease and Comorbid Conditions http://www.onlinejacc.org/content/accj/64/17/1851.full.pdf?_ga=2.174568939.853299748.1583090983-768093126.1583090983
Effectiveness-Based Guidelines for the Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease in Women http://www.onlinejacc.org/content/accj/57/12/1404.full.pdf?_ga=2.214857950.853299748.1583090983-768093126.1583090983
OTHER resources: Rosenthal, L. D., & Burchum, J. R. (2018). Lehne’s pharmacotherapeutics for advanced practice providers. St. Louis, MO: Elsevier.
• Chapter 34, “Review of Hemodynamics” (pp. 335–340)
• Chapter 35, “Diuretics” (pp. 341–349)
• Chapter 36, “Drugs Acting on the Renin-Angiotensin-Aldosterone System” (pp. 351–362)
• Chapter 37, “Calcium Channel Blockers” (pp. 363–369)
• Chapter 38, “Vasodilators” (pp. 371–373)
• Chapter 39, “Drugs for Hypertension” (pp. 375–388)
• Chapter 40, “Drugs for Heart Failure” (pp. 389–402)
• Chapter 41, “Antidysrhythmic Drugs” (pp. 403–418)
• Chapter 42, “Prophylaxis of Atherosclerotic Cardiovascular Disease: Drugs That Help Normalize Cholesterol and Triglyceride Levels” (pp. 419–439)
• Chapter 43, “Drugs for Angina Pectoris” (pp. 441–450)
• Chapter 44, “Anticoagulant and Antiplatelet Drugs” (pp. 451–472)